The travel bug bites hard. Going back to the roots of this website, carving out space to write about adventure and globetrotting.
This website started as a travel blog for friends and family. In 2002-2003, while spending a year abroad in Germany. It was pure HTML that I FTPd onto a server twice a week.
Archiving content worries me. Not keeps-me-up-at-night worry. A basal worry. I want a place to store photos and writing on travel. I want the technology behind the archives to be simple and resilient. Something that just works and requires minimal upkeep. More personal than Facebook or Instagram. I want to own the stack.
Someday I’ll post the German journal again. I’ll get entries from my Mongol Rally blog (currently over at gobiepic.com) posted. I’ll finally finish editing photos from a 6 year backlog.
That’s a mammoth task.
Today I’ll start small. I’ll write a list of past travel. Liner notes to be fleshed out.
- Atlantic Crossing, summer 2019: Cape Town to Florida in a sailing yacht. I like the term yacht. In St. Helena, they called us yachties. On the last day, I asked what yacht meant in British English. Small boat was the answer.
- Climbing Mt Hood: A personal goal since childhood.
- Mini Bike 100, spring 2019: 100 miles on a mini bike with Martinelli Racing Team. Absolutely soul crushing.
- Baja XL, winter 2019: From Los Angeles to Cabo San Lucas and back. Much of it off road. On a 1961 Vespa VBB.
- Inca Trail, Winter 2018: Peru for Christmas. A lovely time to walk in the Andes.
- Ice Run, Spring 2018: Across Lake Baikal in a Ural motorcycle. With a ride on the Trans Siberian from Moscow to Vladivostok getting to and from.
- Mini Bike 100: The first mini bike 100. Less soul crushing. Smaller bikes.
- Gambler 500: In a little red wagon with Doug.
- Thailand to Malaysia Overland: Trains, planes, and ferries.
- Monkey Bikes Across the Sahara: Tiny 50cc Honda knock-offs across one of the great deserts.
- The Hong Kong Bureau: Visiting the Time News Desk in Hong Kong while working on a deal for Sports Illustrated.
- Royal Enfields Across India: A weekend jaunt from Bangalore to Mysore with a coworker. Involved the usual: no wallet, no cell phone, losing my riding buddy on the crowded roads.
- Icarus trophy: To call ourselves pilots is like saying you're a captain of a kayak. But we were fly boys. An air race from Seattle to Sacramento, with my buddy Don taking top honors.
- Hosting WebDevCon EU: Two weeks in London with half my team hosting a conference on web technologies for Amazon.
- Yukon Ho with the Dixie Chickens: That time Don and Sarah shipped their school bus to Seattle and we drove it to the Yukon, Alaska and the Canadian Rockies.
- Motorcycles Across Vietnam: From Saigon to Hanoi on a Honda Win.
- The Mongol Rally: The 10th Mongol Rally with Shane and Roberta as team Go Be or Go Home. Read all about it.
- Barbados, Spring 2007: A semester of economics, classic philosophy, surfing and looking at the Southern Cross.
- Brisbane, Winter 2006: A semester of time travel, salsa dancing and beaches.
- A Year Abroad, Fall 2002-Spring 2003: A year in Germany. Solo trips to the alps. Sleeping rough in Munich. Class field trip to Italy.
- New Zealand: Where my grandparents, who were both avid globetrotters, began making travel a reality. Thank you, grandma and grandpa, without you, the above list would be short. It might not be there at all.